an exerpt from "The Mindscape of Alan Moore"

"Quitting my day job and starting my life as a writer certainly was a tremendous risk.
It was a fool's leap, a shot in the dark.
But anything of value in our lives- whether it be a career, a work of art, a relationship- will always start with such a leap. And in order to be able to make it, you have to put aside the fear of failing and the desire of succeeding. You have to do these things completely purely without fear, without desire.
Because things that we do without lust or result, are the purest actions that we shall ever undertake."


Tuesday, November 4, 2008

today is THE day

Good morning!

I feel less like a kid in a candy store and more like Willy Wonka.
I feel less like Santa Claus is droppin' off some goods and more like he's movin' his toy shop to my house.
I feel less like I'm being swept off my feet and more like I'm floating around on an angelic little cloud.

Undeniably, today is a day that ushers in change. And as surreal as it may seem, it is REALLY happening. We're at the part in the book that compelled us to spend our time following the tale in the first place...

Humans have always been fascinated with the theme of good vs evil, of dark vs light. It's really the ONLY premise of any story-telling, because (I think) inherently we want to know whether it's possible to transcend suffering and hardship. Can the underdog we perceive as ourselves, really triumph over the scary "bad guy"? Is the underdog truly a HERO who was born to slay his personal dragon? If "he" can do it, then so can I!

I digress.

I'll admit, if it isn't obvious by now, that today Barack Obama is the hero in my story. And the moment he walks into the Oval Office and sets his desk organizer down, and perhaps a framed photo or two of Michelle and the girls, I know the world will be a better place for all of us. It will be a world in which our chances for transcending challenges and becoming the heros of our own lives are improved greatly.

Onwards and upwards, my friends! (I'm stealing this back from you know who...;)
We're all in this together...

No comments: