an exerpt from "The Mindscape of Alan Moore"

"Quitting my day job and starting my life as a writer certainly was a tremendous risk.
It was a fool's leap, a shot in the dark.
But anything of value in our lives- whether it be a career, a work of art, a relationship- will always start with such a leap. And in order to be able to make it, you have to put aside the fear of failing and the desire of succeeding. You have to do these things completely purely without fear, without desire.
Because things that we do without lust or result, are the purest actions that we shall ever undertake."


Thursday, November 13, 2008

ahhhh...the cocteau twins

I'm just spending some time with my guitar, playing my songs, playing others...going down the list of my covers in my bookmarks folder and I come across "Half Gifts" by the Cocteau Twins (who, I must say, is one of the most, if not THE most, influential bands for me) and thought I had to share these lyrics with you:

It's an old game of love,
when you can't have me you want me
because you know that you're not risking anything

Intimacy is when we're in the same place at the same time
dealing honestly with how we feel and who we really are

That's what grown-ups do
That is mature thinking

I just have to know how to be in the process of
creating things in a better way
And it hurts but it's a lie that I can't handle it
I still have a world of me-ness to fulfill
I still have a life, and it's a rich one even with mourning
Even with grief and sadness

I still care about this planet
I am still connected to nature and my dreams for myself

I still have my friends, my family.
I have myself
I still have me
I still have me



Wow....it's like a page right out of a break-up journal entry. Intimacy, indeed.

No comments: