an exerpt from "The Mindscape of Alan Moore"

"Quitting my day job and starting my life as a writer certainly was a tremendous risk.
It was a fool's leap, a shot in the dark.
But anything of value in our lives- whether it be a career, a work of art, a relationship- will always start with such a leap. And in order to be able to make it, you have to put aside the fear of failing and the desire of succeeding. You have to do these things completely purely without fear, without desire.
Because things that we do without lust or result, are the purest actions that we shall ever undertake."


Monday, November 3, 2008

blessings in disguise

So now that I've slept with the Chernobyl doc (see below) mingling with my dreams, I have awakened with more clarity on it's purpose in the "big picture". The unfortunate human bungling that led to the explosion, and the ignorance of such a powerful and potentially destructive technology were catalysts that led to a much greater understanding, which may have never been attained any other way. At the time of the incident, the world was facing a potential nuclear war. Scary to be sure. I was only 11 and blissfully unaware that life as I knew it was being threatened by the mindset of a mere few men holding their thumbs over shiny red buttons. And then Chernobyl happened. And those mindsets were altered. Typically, it took massive destruction and sacrifice for the humans to realize that aiming a warhead at the other guy was like aiming it at themselves. The nuclear missiles were disarmed and the world became safe again...for a short while.

I'd like to suggest that all "devastating" events contain such lessons and blessin's. Unless you meditate on a rock 24/7, you are aware that turbulence is again rocking the boat we all live on. If you can bypass the seasickness, it's easy to see that the tidal waves are serving a purpose for the betterment of all. Usually that purpose is best understood when looking back on it later, once some context has been established. I'm doing my best to not wait until later. I am practicing trust NOW, in believing that whatever occurs, no matter how disruptive, it is essential for the evolution of our species. And I'm doing my best to be a healthy proponent of the unfolding...

And even if you have been meditating on a rock 24/7, I'm willing to bet you've heard about a lil ol' election taking place tomorrow, one some are referring to as the "World's first GLOBAL election". Honestly, I have never been so engrossed in the destiny of 2 people I haven't even met. It feels like the world's entire population is crammed into one winnebago that's sitting at a fork in the road, debating about whether to take the well-travelled path, or to bravely venture down the one that takes us to an unknown destination. Who knows?...it could lead to the paradise we all are seeking. While there is certainly a lot to be said for familiarity and comfort, stagnation is the diet version of death. From what I've observed and sensed, the comfort zone we (North Americans, in general) have created for ourselves, is becoming uncomfortable. And this excites me because I know my greatest transformations ONLY occur when it's too painful for me to stay the same. Birth is painful, people. Metamorphosis requires some shifting around, some vulnerability, some shedding of well-worn skin. I doubt that a butterfly ever looked back at it's empty cocoon with regret at no longer being a caterpillar. And I don't doubt that the current economic, environmental, and every other kind of discomfort is a similar call to action! I sooooo wish I could vote, to have my say, but I can't so I'll just say this: BE the change!

No comments: