an exerpt from "The Mindscape of Alan Moore"

"Quitting my day job and starting my life as a writer certainly was a tremendous risk.
It was a fool's leap, a shot in the dark.
But anything of value in our lives- whether it be a career, a work of art, a relationship- will always start with such a leap. And in order to be able to make it, you have to put aside the fear of failing and the desire of succeeding. You have to do these things completely purely without fear, without desire.
Because things that we do without lust or result, are the purest actions that we shall ever undertake."


Thursday, November 6, 2008

feelin' the blues

aaahhhemmmm....got a bit of a head cold today and I think it's making me grumpier than usual.

And instead of starting my day with a nourishing breakfast, I ate up a somewhat harsh letter to Obama from Nadar, questioning his stance on Palestine and Israel, among other things. Let's just say it gave me indigestion. I'm not going to go into details about it because I don't want to spread the bad blues. I'm sure you will find it if you look for it.

Speaking of finding what you look for, I went in search of something to lift me up a bit and give me some perspective...a bit o' medicine for my grumpy disposition. Now that the election is over, a lot of "behind the campaign scene" stories are rising to the surface. And it's pretty fascinating reading. One report in particular enlightens us that until recently, Sarah Palin didn't know that Africa was a continent, believing instead that it is a country with lots of little parts. OUCH! I mean, I knew she was ignorant but, there is no word for such a level of cluelessness. Can you say "lobotomy?"

So the good blues is that this juicy tidbit was enough to remind me that even in the slight chance that Obama has some tricks up his sleeve, the Democratic win has saved us all from more potential disaster than we can even imagine.

For me, today is about appreciating the little things that give me pleasure and comfort. I've got some lentil soup brewing in a pot and the sunshine beaming in through the window. In fact, the list of my small blessings is so long that i'm feeling better just thinking about it...

No comments: