an exerpt from "The Mindscape of Alan Moore"

"Quitting my day job and starting my life as a writer certainly was a tremendous risk.
It was a fool's leap, a shot in the dark.
But anything of value in our lives- whether it be a career, a work of art, a relationship- will always start with such a leap. And in order to be able to make it, you have to put aside the fear of failing and the desire of succeeding. You have to do these things completely purely without fear, without desire.
Because things that we do without lust or result, are the purest actions that we shall ever undertake."


Thursday, November 13, 2008

the grayest morning yet!

Well, it is definitely here....winter.

If I didn't have to go work, today would be the perfect day to stay in my pajamas and slippers and do everything from my bed...e-mailing, eating, reading, playing guitar, afternoon tea.

I am reminded of how difficult the winter season was for me last year. I'm not one to be overtly affected by weather. In fact, I'm one of those kooky people who welcomes dark days because I find them to be cozy and condusive to craftiness and creativity. So it surprised me when one day last February I was literally not able to get out of bed. I was too depressed. I finally understood what people had been talking about, when describing such a depth of despair that they were rendered incapable of functioning. Even doing the basic human stuff, like brushing teeth, can seem like an accomplishment.

This year I am practicing prevention. We all know about taking Vitamin D and other supplements, as well as getting 20 min of full-spectrum light each day. I have some suggestions as to how to supplement your supplements:

1. Acceptance: This one is huge. Bitchin' about the damned weather ain't gonna do nothin' for your blues. Complaining about what IS will only deepen them and disconnect you more from the thoughts that can actually lift you up. It is what it ALREADY is, people, so don't waste your precious time or energy bemoaning reality. Instead invest your energy into shaping how you perceive that reality by practicing....

2. Appreciation: Unless you're 6 feet under, I'm sure you can find at least 5 things to be grateful for. There are a lot of people way worse off than you. So apply your will to focus on these good things rather than what you think sucks. Since what you focus on grows and what you focus on is only ever up to you, then...it's basic logic to look for what makes you feel good, because...well it makes you feel good! It can be as simple as being grateful for shelter on a snowy day, or the beauty in the eye of a stranger on an overly crowded streetcar. Beauty and blessings are everywhere if you simply wish to see them.

3. Company: I spend a LOT of time alone...I mean A LOT a lot. So I know very well how easy it is for one negative thought to spiral me down into a vortex of despair. And with no one around to interrupt my train ride to hell, I am more likely to arrive at my destination: the Bottom. So this year I intend to surround myself with friends...have potluck dinners, game nights, wine and movie nights, spin the freaking bottle nights! It doesn't matter. I just know I am not the only one who will benefit from the lively company of others. And who knows? Maybe some beautiful music or interesting art will be born...

That's it for now, my friends. Be great.

No comments: