an exerpt from "The Mindscape of Alan Moore"

"Quitting my day job and starting my life as a writer certainly was a tremendous risk.
It was a fool's leap, a shot in the dark.
But anything of value in our lives- whether it be a career, a work of art, a relationship- will always start with such a leap. And in order to be able to make it, you have to put aside the fear of failing and the desire of succeeding. You have to do these things completely purely without fear, without desire.
Because things that we do without lust or result, are the purest actions that we shall ever undertake."


Friday, January 16, 2009

yummy minestrone


I looooooooooooove making soup.

Unless you are REALLY stunted in the kitchen, it's virtually a fool-proof meal to make, as you cannot possibly get it wrong! Not only is the ancient art of mixing an assortment of ingredients into a pot of seasoned water fun & super easy, I always end up with a tasty surprise.

Here is a lovely minestrone I threw together last night, and I'm gonna tell you what I did:

First, I heated up some grapeseed oil in a soup pot and threw in bay leaves, coriander seeds, thyme, basil, rosemary, chili pepper, garlic and onions. As the spices simmered together, I prepared mybroccoli, green pepper, carrots, zucchini, potato, red onion, spring onion, cabbage, mushrooms, and then threw them into the pot along with some more water and Bragg's liquid soy.

After a couple of minutes of stirring the mix, I filled the pot with water, turned the burner on MAX and added a can of pureed tomatoes, chickpeas, a few split green peas and some rice pasta (for the authentic minestrone feel!)

Once the water was boiling I added some apple cider vinegar, pepper and sea salt. I turned the heat down to MIN, placed on the lid and sat back and excitedly awaited my yummy dinner!!!

I garnished the soup with some nutritional yeast and some pretty dried thyme that my sweet friend, Alex D, gave to me from his garden...!

No comments: