an exerpt from "The Mindscape of Alan Moore"

"Quitting my day job and starting my life as a writer certainly was a tremendous risk.
It was a fool's leap, a shot in the dark.
But anything of value in our lives- whether it be a career, a work of art, a relationship- will always start with such a leap. And in order to be able to make it, you have to put aside the fear of failing and the desire of succeeding. You have to do these things completely purely without fear, without desire.
Because things that we do without lust or result, are the purest actions that we shall ever undertake."


Wednesday, January 14, 2009

my first coleslaw!


I find it really easy to go the grocery store and buy the same things over and over...(and over and over and over...!). Well, today I decided to challenge my little food rut, and dared to buy a head of cabbage. As a child, I loved eating the bits and pieces my mom would feed to me as she was preparing the cabbage for a soup. And, (I can admit it) I LOOOOOOVED the coleslaw that accompanied my Kentucky Fried Chicken. mmmmmmm......damn it was good!

So, given how much I love raw cabbage, I chose today to prepare my very own version of a vegan coleslaw. And I have to say, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Here's what I did:

I thinly sliced half a head of green cabbage (as there is only one of me :), leaving the pieces nice and long. Then, using a peeler, I sliced thin strips of carrot right into the bowl. I like using the peeler to grate because you end up with lovely pale, almost translucent, strips of carrot which match the light green of the cabbage nicely. Next up on the chopping block was one granny smith apple, and then half a small red onion...both as thinly sliced as possible.

For the dressing, I simply KNEW that sesame oil was the way to go. So i mixed some of that in a bowl with some lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, seeded mustard, and good ol' salt and pepper. As I tossed that around with the salad, I threw in some organic raisins for good measure!

And now I am eating a really nice, well-balanced crunchy salad for lunch, with LOTS leftover to eat later!

1 comment:

Doe Doe's Dada said...

We gotta have a Slaw of! I got a killer one on the go to.

Jesse