an exerpt from "The Mindscape of Alan Moore"

"Quitting my day job and starting my life as a writer certainly was a tremendous risk.
It was a fool's leap, a shot in the dark.
But anything of value in our lives- whether it be a career, a work of art, a relationship- will always start with such a leap. And in order to be able to make it, you have to put aside the fear of failing and the desire of succeeding. You have to do these things completely purely without fear, without desire.
Because things that we do without lust or result, are the purest actions that we shall ever undertake."


Tuesday, February 3, 2009

gigs gigs gigs

It has been a while since I've written- 'scuse me, "blogged"; not because I haven't been living, but because I have!

I feel so much in the flow of things, like I'm streaming down a river towards all that I have ever wanted, and man o man, is it a great feeling!

I played two fun shows last week and am looking forward to yet another...NOTHING makes me feel more fulfilled and purposeful than getting up on a stage and singing my songs to people who care to listen.

And speaking of songs, I wrote a new one a week ago that is still compelling me to play it several times a day. It was one of those miraculous moments that had me feeling like I was less the creator and more the mid-wife to it's delivery. Instinctively, I matched some lyrics from a month-old page in my journal to a few chords on my guitar and ten minutes later it was born, alive and well, with all of it's necessary parts to ensure it a good life.

So basically, life is tasting sweet and I am enjoying being hungry.

What a perfect combination...!

(gotta go play my song!)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beint an artist must be grand. Always wanted to do art but was always worried about starving etc. Discovered souls can starve too...

At any rate, to respond to your comment re harper,... I really try my best to stop the feelings that rise up in me when I see him and his cronies from the conservative party. One of my classmates, Bob Dechert is now an MP (mississauga) for that party.

What worries me frankly about Harper is his religious angle that is tied very closely to an American Church. Texas actually. He has a strong fundamentalist mien and has a radical fringe in his party.

The conservative model is a bit outdated now that Bush is gone. The single truth of bush and harper is their notion of reality. Can be summed up in a single idea. Reality is the reality we make they said. Karl Rove's and political witch doctors like Dechert can usually just about do anything with numbers. All it takes is a very cold spirit and a clear vision rooted in the rapture. Any end then justifies the means.

About being Swiss. Takes awhile. About 12 years. I am a citizen now and emigrated from Canada. This is very true... I found it very tough to live there being Native Canadian. I am just Garry here which is fine with me. I wonder what exactly a canadian is if canada cannot make peace with its deep past represented by its aboriginal citizens. Did you know that Indians got the right to vote only in 1970? Or became Canadian Citizens only in 1956?

But I think things will change with Obama in the USA. His being Black. I think of WWII black soldiers who had to wait outside restaurants in the south and watch German prisoners of war being served inside.

In Switzerland, it is less the leaders since everything is voted on. Anyone can run for office and if one can raise say 30,000 votes, Parliament can be made to reevaluate a law. A new law can be presented to parliament if one gets 100,000 signatures.

Finally, we had to vote on adhering to a a provision of the EU relating to the movement of people in Europe. At the same time, I had to vote on whether we should get a second year for kindergarten in Fribourg.